Easy Iraqi Lentil Soup Recipe (Marjimeg or Shorbeh) | Nana's Kitchen
Hello everyone! Here is the recipe to make Iraqi lentil soup. Its so easy, and delicious.
Makes 10 bowls.
- 3 cups orange Lentils
- 1/4 cup Shaheen rice
- 1 white or red onion
- Olive Oil
- 1 cup Chicken broth (If you have on hand)
- 1 - 2 chicken broth cubes
- Salt to taste
- OPTIONAL - Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 Tbs Curcumin
- 1 handful of Sharia (thin middle eastern noodles)
- Half of a fresh lemon or 4-5 squirts of lemon juice
- Begin by roughly chopping up a whole onion. Put it in a pot with 1 tbs of olive oil and cook until golden brown.
- While onions are frying, throughly wash your lentils with cold water in a strainer. Nana rinses hers about 3 or 4 times. Once you have washed them, add in the rice and wash them together. Transfer them to the golden onions.
- Fry the lentils and onions for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Once they are fried, add in enough warm water to fill your pot. The lentils should be completely submerged under the water. The water should be about 2 inches away from the rim of your pot. Stir and cook on medium heat.
- Allow this to sit for 20 minutes until the lentils have turned yellow and have softened.
- Now, transfer your pot away from the heat and with a hand blender we are going to blend our soup until creamy. You can also leave it with a little texture depending on your preference.
- Now, add in your salt (and black pepper) along with the juice of half of a fresh lemon.
- Let the soup sit for 20 minutes on medium heat and stir periodically.
- 10 minutes before serving, add a handful of your thin sharia noodles. Don't add too much as it can make your soup muddy.
You can watch the full instructions for the recipe here: