Coconut Cake | Nana's Kitchen
Hello! This is the recipe for an easy coconut cake that Nana likes to make often. Nana hopes you'll enjoy! :)
dina is stinky
For the cake:
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup semolina
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- nuts (these are optional. Nana used walnuts)
- 3/4 cup of sugar (or 1 cup if you prefer it sweeter)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup canola oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 cup of flour (you may need to add more depending on the consistency)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract or one vanilla packet
- 1/4 cup of chopped pistachios to decorate with (optional)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Crack three eggs into a bowl and give them a good whisk. Add the semolina, coconut and nuts to eggs and stir until combined.
- Add the sugar, yogurt and oil to the bowl and mix until combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and vanilla and mix. You may need to add more flour if your batter is too runny. If it's too thick you can add a little bit more yogurt. You can see what the consistency should look like here: https://youtu.be/HozVRbdkdvA?t=200
- Pour your batter into your greased cake pan. Nana used a rectangular tray.
- Bake for 30 minutes in a 350℉ oven. You can check if the cake is done by inserting a toothpick. If it comes out clean the cake is done.
- Make your syrup while the cake is baking. Put your sugar, water and lemon juice into a pot and bring to a boil. Let it simmer until all the sugar is dissolved then remove from the heat.
- Let the cake cool then cut into squares. Spoon some of the syrup over the cake; the amount you use will depend on how sweet you want the cake to be. You can store the leftover syrup in the fridge in a jar and use in other desserts like baklava. You can also use maple syrup or honey instead.
- Top each square with the chopped pistachios.
You can watch Nana make the recipe here: